Emil Vodder was born in Dinamarca on February 20th, 1896. He completed his studies of medicine, sociology and philosophy for 4 years and became a doctor of philosophy at the university of Brussels in 1928.
It is in 1932 when the Dr Emil Vodder began his researche on the lymph and its system. He was interested in Alexis Carrel's works (Nobel prize in 1912 for his researches on chicken cells maintained alive thanks to the lymph).
In 1933, Dr Vodder wrote " Look after the ground by the humors " which described its new manual technique of health. This publication obtained the interest of the scientists among which those of the Faculty of Medicine of Copenhagen.
It is in 1936 when the Dr Vodder finalized his method of stimulation of the lymphatic system. The lymphatic drainage was born. It was necessary more than twenty years of work and conferences in order to make this method recognized by the scientists as effective. From this moment, Emil and Estrid Vodder (his wife) began to teach this technique to the students of naturopathy of Berlin. Their numerous positive results on the patients attracted number of therapists of the medical and paramedical file through Europe as doctors, dentists, naturopathes, physiotherapists, etc.. .
He developed his technique first of all for the treatment of the chronic sinusitis, to spread it then to a very wide range of aesthetic and hygienic applications. His step was especially intuitive and empirical,having in consideration the physiological knowledge of his time. It is only from 1958 when researches were led to bring scientific explanations to the evident efficiency of the method, the surprising efficiency which countered certain medical theories of massages were seen. Besides, an important clinical experiment was realized, not only by Vodder himself, but also by various centres and private specialized hospitals.
To understand the results obtained by the lymphatic drainage, it is important to have some notions on the lymphatic system and the lymph.
The lymph: it is about a liquid whose constituents come from the blood. As for the blood circulation, the lymph has a route through all the body. It is recovered during the passage of the blood between the small arteries and veins at the level of capillaries. It's role is mainly immunizing (the defence against the foreign bodies).It is in charge of the elimination of toxin and fats. It is the reason for which the lymphatic drainage is very useful in aesthetic institute. Water retentions can be also eliminated by the drainage.
As a general rule, the lymphatic drainage is made in a manual way. It is about a soft massage that lasts approximately one hour. Since a couple of years, there are devices reproducing the work of hands, they are called the pressotherapy.
The lymphatic drainage ( MLD manual lymphatic drainage)
This is a system of drainage of the body: it is considered as being a part of the circulatory system. It consists of a network and lymph nodes.
The lymph is a clear fluid which contains some plasma and lymphocytes (specialized white blood cells which are made in lymph nodes to fight against the infections). The lymph does not have its own pump. Its stream depends on the pressure of the blood system and on the effect of muscles' massages.
Thus to improve the lymphatic drainage, it is necessary to act on the circulatory system. By having a lymphatic system working well, you avoid lots of healht problems which can arise and you strengthen your immune system.
Ganglions are the centres of production and storage of lymphocytes, which are elements very important for the immune system. Antibodies are made in the lymphatic system in answer to an invasion of a foreign substance.
All the fabrics are bathed by the lymph, it distributes fat or proteins, accumulates them or creates some energy. It has for responsibility to feed all the cells. During the sleep or in case of fatigue, of cold, of overwork, the lymph corrupts and becomes unhealthy, and it is at this stage that the lymphatic drainage intervenes as remedy.
The lymphatic drainage:
- Increase until 3 times the flow of the lymph
- Activate the elimination of toxin and waste
- Increase the immunity
- Assures the overproduction of lymphocytes
- Improve the body's defences
The MLD according to Vodder is recognized to treat & relieve the following problems:
- Post-traumatic oedemas and post-operating: "big arm" dues in the mastectomy, fracture, sprain, nasty bruise
- Circulatory Disorders: venous or lymphatic incapacity, varicose veins, cellulite
- Respiratory Disorders: bronchitis, fever
- Rheumatic Disorders: cervicalgies, dorsodynia, lumbago coxarthrose, periarthritis
- Food poisoning
- Medicinal Infectious diseases: cold, flu, sinusitis
- Diseases of the internal organs: constipation, colitis
- Nervous disorders: headaches, insomnia, stress
- Dental disorders: weakness of gums
The DLM according to Vodder can:
- Reduce oedemas, on one hand by accelerating the reabsorption of liquids and macromolecules in excess in the interstitium by the lymphatic capillaries and, on the other hand, by stimulating the peristaltism of lymphatic vessels.
- Stimulate the immunizing processes by increasing, at the level of the cortical zone of lymph nodes, the production of lymphocytes (phagocytary properties and responsibility in the production of antibodies).
- Facilitate the tissular regeneration, by eliminating the interstitial oedema, the factor of slowing down of the microcirculation and, and by the increase of the production of the lymphocytes which, according to Vodder, the nucleus plays a feeder and regenerative role for fabrics.
The lymphatic drainage does not have an exclusif therapeutic utility. We can also be massaged for an esthetic reasons or just for the well-being. The skin is revivified, the body gets rid of its fatigue and its stress, we are again ready to forge ahead! That is why many beauticians propose it in their institutes. Indeed, it allows to obtain good results in fighting the cellulite, to improve the orange peel effect, treat a very wrinkled skin, etc.. .
The effects of extensive cures are not to be either neglected. A paralyzed person of pains can, in the term of some weeks of daily treatments, leave transformed and feel the good effects of the cure going on during one or two years.